Monday, September 5, 2011

When the Power is Out....



About the only thing that WAS working when Irene knocked out my power for FOUR DAYS last week was my camera. I never realized how dependent I am on electricity!! No lights, no TV, no internet (that was the worst), no Keurig coffee-maker (no, THAT was the worst!!). The second it stopped raining I ran to Starbucks for their instant "Via" coffee...which by the way, is not to bad in a pinch!!

I did a lot of painting and rearranging in the house, and then eventually went and stayed with my sister, who had power. Seriously, on day 4, when I realized I was going to face another night in darkness, quiet, and no internet, I started to lose it!!

Here's how I kept busy at home...

Moved all my multi-colored china out of my cabinet and replaced it with all of my white-only pieces



Painted everything in sight




Painted and stamped some drawer pulls (I've been wanting to try this)



Arranged a few vignettes






Re-read one of my favorite Mary Kay Andrews books



I am so fortunate to have won a contest she ran last year, and received an autographed copy...so cool!!



....and experimented with romantic candle photography. That got old quick...it's very different when you can turn the lights on when you're done!



I know I was fortunate...I had no damage or flooding, and life got back to normal pretty quickly. However, I will most likely invest in a generator and a crank radio...not even getting the news is brutal!!

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday weekend!!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! You didn't let a little thing like a natural disaster get in the way of your productivity! Mona Kay, you didn't mention the extra effort to get to the post office so this customer would receive her Mona Kay at Home order! :)
    Amazing!
    ~Lynne
    [w/L]

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could get all that done during a 4-day power outage, I think I'd turn it off myself once a month :>) Lovely post, especially love the knobs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Four days? You poor thing. Looks like it was a little bit of a blessing...look how productive you were! Everything looks beautiful. So fun to see my little tags in your pretty vignettes...Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! Four days? I would be crazy for sure, but look what all you accomplished, maybe I do need four days, but then I know I go crazy without power for four hours. You did good! Everything looks so pretty! So happy you have it on now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You rocked it out! So many great projects!! Glad all is okay. Loving all your vignettes and photos!

    ReplyDelete