Friday, May 20, 2011

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

Annie Sloan, where have you been all my life?? It just goes to show, you shouldn't craft in a vacuum. That's why I love all my blogging friends!

Like many in the furniture restoration world, I absolutely LOVE Miss Mustard Seed, and Mustard Seed Interiors. Well, this evening, I was multi-tasking...that is, I was watching "How I Met Your Mother" on TV, and looking at Miss Mustard Seed's blog. If you've ever seen her blog, you know that it is full of tutorials, and gorgeous pictures of her latest creations. Her description of a "Paris Gray" color bureau caught my attention, and I started doing a little research...which lead me to her post on Annie Sloan Chalk Paint!

Imagine how delighted I was to find that there is a North American supplier right here in NJ!! I called and spoke to Patty Seaman of Classic Wall Finishes. Patty and her sister Karen Donnelly, are both artists. Classic Wall Finishes was one of the first three stockists of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in the United States. Patty spent a great deal of time with me on the phone, patiently answering all of my questions, then telling me a little about Annie Sloan's "Soft Wax", with which I was unfamiliar. We set up a time for me to come by and pick up the colors I had ordered, and I got to meet both Patty and Karen. These lovely, talented ladies set themselves apart with their customer service and sincere interest in helping their clients. I left with some great ideas, and the wish that I didn't have to sleep, because I was so excited to start painting I knew I wouldn't want to stop.

Here is the first piece I completed for a client. Here's the before:



....and after, painted in Annie Sloan "Old White". She did not want any distressing - and I have to say, with the lovely, charming detail of this bureau, it's not even necessary!:


The paint has such low VOC that I did half the piece inside...that was the 98 degree weekend. The wax has a strong enough odor that Patty recommended using in ventilated conditions, and I agree. By the way, the wax is soooo luxurious; easy to rub on, and leaves a lusterous, protective finish. I put three coats on the top of this dresser, and two coats on the rest, and used maybe 20-25% of the 500 ml can.

I am seriously seeing this dresser finished in Paris Grey, most likely with the wood top sanded and waxed but left natural. I may not even sell it!!



I'm also eyeing these in Paris Grey...PURISTS, BEWARE!! You are not going to like this!!



Stay tuned...

What projects are keeping you busy??

Mona Kay

No comments:

Post a Comment